Are you getting the right amount of sleep? Sleep has a huge impact on our physical and mental health, and lack of sleep can take its toll on us.
In this day and age, we live our lives being constantly busy, and trying to fit everything into our day can be a challenge. Often we may find ourselves going to bed later or getting up earlier to give us a bit of extra time. Over a period of time, however, this can wreak havoc on our health!
Interestingly, getting more sleep will actually help you to get more done. While we sleep, our brain is busy restoring and maintaining our body, helping us to reach our full potential. So by skimping on sleep and working more, you’re limiting yourself. Getting more sleep would actually allow us to achieve more in less time.
So how much sleep do we need? Most adults may find that they can get by on about six or seven hours. But just because you can cope with that amount, doesn’t mean it’s enough. Interestingly, most healthy adults need seven to nine hours of sleep per night to function at their best!
What can help you to get more sleep? Here’s some suggestions:
- Make sure you have a regular sleep pattern- go to bed and wake up at the same time each day, even at the weekend.
- Exercise. Make sure you do something active every day, for at least half an hour.
- Be careful not to drink caffeine, or to have anything heavy or sugary too close to bedtime, and avoid drinking too much as all these can disrupt your sleep.
- Make sure your bedroom is relaxing, comfortable, dark and quiet.
- Wind down before bed, and avoid technology as the lit up screen will affect your ability to switch off. Perhaps try having a warm bath or listening to relaxing music.